What is this blog for?

The name 'LaengThai' or แหล่งไทย means 'source of Thai (language)'.

I think this blog will cover some interesting Thai vocabularies, some features of Thai language I found (as a non-linguist), and English-Thai or Thai-English translation issues. Many prominent lexicographers are not linguist, so I think I will be fine in this area. 

I have been interested in languages for decades. I have a passion on vocabularies, esp. archaic Thai ones.  My mother tongue is Thai and I love Thai language. I also did very well in English when I was a student. I had studied for my Ph.D. in the USA so my (American) English was quite good, compare to most Thai students. I saw need for very good Thai-English and English-Thai dictionaries, as well as Thai Thesaurus. So I am developing all of those. But those are 3 gigantic projects that I can not take all by myself. Yet I can start them and shape them to be right along my visions, as a former life scientist, and a Buddhist Abhidhamma (Metaphysics) student, then I hope to recruit people to help join my effort later.

So the purpose of this blog, for me, first is to serve as a prelude to the 3 gigantic projects. So I plan to write about my dictionary and thesaurus making. 

In addition, this blog will serve as a gathering place for known resources on computational linguistics (with respect to Thai) and Thai natural language processing (including deep learning, neural nets), which I am also interested. I think it is going to be quite useful since this platform is in the open web. Many of the existing information is buried in small private groups inside proprietary platform (FB). Needless to say that I feel indebted and am thankful to those developers and creator of various tools, softwares, and corpora. Note that I also have another related blog, Akrasom, also on blogspot, where I gather resources on NLP (on a whole), during the course of my self-study. I will not not to cross-post between this and the other blog. However, if I do cross-post, I 'll let it be known.


 



Comments